Monday, October 13, 2008

Family to the Rescue

Balancing weekend meetings with clients and cub scout popcorn sales this past weekend, I took a gamble on exactly how far one can travel once the "low fuel" indicator on your vehicle appears. In hindsight, I can tell you that it is sometimes not as far as you might like!

Amazingly enough, after a few stressful moments of sitting on the side of the highway wondering what to do next, my brother-in-law, Wade, miraculously appeared in my passenger window and saved the day. In the midst of it all, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to call him for help, but there he was, exactly when I needed him. My hero! Thanks, Wade.

When I teach community education classes about wills and trusts, I talk about the choices that everyone must in estate planning - who will do the best job as trustee? Who would be the best patient advocate? Who is going to take care of me when I can't take care of myself? Who would raise my children if I cannot?

Even the best plans sometimes don't turn out the way you might expect, and you might be surprised who comes to your rescue when crisis hits your family. Over the years, I've had many clients who have amended their wills, trusts and patient advocate designations for just this reason. Plan carefully, but when things don't turn out the way you'd expect - amend!

Here's to Wade and to everyday heroes everywhere...

No comments: