Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Minimizing the Shock

I'm a lawyer in Michigan working in the field of wills, trusts and estates. As part of my practice, I teach community education classes. Often, seminar participants bring along their friends or siblings to my classes. At one particular seminar, the discussion was centered around how to tell the person you've chosen as your successor trustee what their role may someday be in your estate.

One woman turned to her sister and said in disgust, "I can't believe anyone would put someone's name down for something like that and not tell them about it." Her sister paused a moment and then said hesitantly, "did I ever mention that I named you as my trustee?"

Living trusts are popular with consumers in Michigan today, in part, because they promote the possibility of an estate administration simplified and at less cost than a traditional probate administration.

This blog is created for the purpose of providing a forum for individuals who have been named as a successor trustee in a living trust agreement or are currently serving as a trustee.

Questions and comments are welcome.

No comments: